Monday, September 21, 2009

cold days= comfort food


I am dealing with some seriously cold days here in the southern city of Adelaide. Brisbane Queensland is tipping the temperature charts at a balmy 25 -30 degrees celcius whereas Adelaide is crawlinng to a maximum of around 12 degrees (right in the heart of comfort eating territory!! )This doesn't have to be pies,chips, sausage rolls or fast food- the humble Spag Bol (or spag bog! as we call it) will do the trick. It is the quick and easy meal that is cheap, high in iron and protein, suitable from a toddler to a grandparent and anyone in between and a meal you can 'hide 'or 'enhance with ' some vegies to make it a complete meal. I have included my husbands 'no fail' spaghetti bolgnese recipe- let me know how you have enhanced your spaghetti recipe?
Kate x
Spaghetti Bolognese
500g lean beef mince
400g canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs (fresh or dried)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon bown sugar
500 g spaghetti

Lightly fry chopped onion in small amount of oil
Add mince and stir until brown
Add canned tomatoes and tomato paste
Sprinkle with herbs
Simmer

Cook spaghetti in saucepan of boiling water until just firm
Serve mince sauce drizzled over pasta, add grated cheese if desired
Serve with salad or vegetables
*older kids can stir over low heat and sprinkle in the herbs (if you take the pan of the heat the younger ones can have a stir)
*Bolognese is easy to freeze

2 comments:

Melissa@Vidastyle said...

Hi I just found your blog via AM's
I think Spaghetti Bol is my weekly standby. I make a vegetarian one.
Your new book sounds great i might have to check it out. I have an almost 4 year old who would eat anything til he was two and is only now starting to widen his repetoire of food.

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh yum Paul..... you are such a 'chef'. Eternally jealous that your hubby can cook. I do not lie, my hubby, when asked to cook some pasta, asked me to come over to look at the pot and said to me, "is this boiling?". No kidding. I haven't a hope. I am going to try the brown sugar and soy sauce version and knock my boys socks off with this one! A-M xx